Now that it is getting warm outside it is much easier to get outside to exercise. This time of year lots of people also get hurt because they don't think about themselves first. I call them the weekend warriors.
TOP TEN WAYS TO KEEP FROM BEING A WEEKEND WARRIOR:
10. Make sure that you get a lot of water to drink!
Water makes up 75% of your body so we need to make sure that we replenish it especially if we are exercising on those hot days.
9. Exercise at least 3 days per week for at least 30 minutes. Studies have shown that it doesn't have to be all at once. I am a busy mom with 4 kids. Sometimes my exercise consists of 5 minutes of kettle bells, then 2 hours later a walk to the park and playing with my kids, then 3 hours later I take the stairs instead of an elevator. You get my point right? It is best to get a solid 30 minute cardio exercise, but let's face it... LIFE IS BUSY sometimes.
8. Stretch before and after your exercise: Doing some light stretches before exercising helps, but definitely stretch well after you've exercised. Tight, non-flexible muscles are much more prone to injury.
7. Change your exercises. For two reasons: One, you will use different muscle groups, and Two, you won't get bored.
6. Listen to your body. If you are starting to feel overexerted, then you probably are. Give your body a chance to recover. Don't overdo it.
5. Rest. Make sure that you get adequate sleep at night. Most adults need 7-10 hours of sleep per night.
4. Avoid too many diuretics. Diuretics include: alcohol, caffeine, medications sometimes, etc. If you are on a prescription of diuretics you have to be even more careful. Diuretics make your body excrete water which will make you dehydrated.
3. Eat an adequate diet. Make sure that you are getting proper nutrition. We tend to eat not enough of the right things and overindulge in all the wrong things on the weekends.
2. Get together with others. If you exercise with others you may be held more accountable and you can keep each other from over doing it. (Unless you tend to over push each other, that is)
1. HAVE FUN!!! Exercising can be fun. Find some activities that are super fun for you. It may be kayaking, water skiing, roller blading, running, soccer, volleyball, swimming, biking, walking, skipping, swinging, etc. The skies the limit!