Monday, August 1, 2016

The “Natural” Topic of the Decade: Toxins

While it may not be in the mainstream news, it’s a budding topic of discussion in many parts of our culture today. It’s a good thing, too, because the topic of toxins deserves some serious attention. Many stores are stocking “non-toxic” home cleaners, “aluminum and paraben-free deodorant”, and organic food is increasing in popularity and availability as more consumers demand it.  

Consumers are all asking the same question, which demands a qualified answer: How can we expect to be knowingly full of toxic, unnatural chemicals, yet remain completely healthy? We know that at some point the liver gets overworked, right? There is a “too much” level of toxicity. Parabens, propylene glycol, polysorbate 80 and polysorbate-20, and aluminum chlorohydrate are examples of several toxins lurking in your everyday products. Each of these is a known carcinogen, so it makes sense to at least try to avoid them, right?

Now, it’s true that any toxicologist will tell you that it is the dose that determines toxin. Your toxin exposure from your kitchen cleaner in one day is probably pretty low and it’s nothing to be concerned about. However, when compounded by repeated exposure several times a day, in addition to all of the other toxin carrying products you may have in your house, your house becomes a liability to your health.

There are many places that we get exposed to toxins. Below is a list of a few places you are exposed to toxins, what you can to do avoid them, and how to replace them.

  1. Household cleaners. Like we listed above, many of the household cleaners that you use on everyday surfaces leave behind a sparkly clean surface, right along with a whole host of carcinogenic toxins. Switching to natural based cleaners is very simple, and it doesn’t need to be expensive. White vinegar, for instance, is a very cheap and effective household cleaner. The internet is full of effective cleaning recipes for the home that are based in vinegar.
  2. Makeup. It is estimated that the average woman puts about 5 pounds of sludge on her face a year. Makeup, of course, does not look like sludge, but the level of toxicity and heavy metals in it sure does. Even today, in 2016, most mainstream lipsticks have dangerous levels of lead in them. This is partly because cosmetics are not regulated for carcinogens even though they contain them, and ingredients are not listed on most makeups. Consider switching to a natural makeup line, or use mineral makeup. On days that you are not going out, give your skin a breather and leave the makeup off.
  3. Personal care products. Along the same lines as your makeup, your personal care products should be as natural as possible. Our skin is our largest organ, and it absorbs everything we put on it, both good and bad, so we need to be deliberate about products we allow on it. This includes your shampoo, face wash, body wash, lotions, and especially your deodorant. Finding a natural deodorant that works can sometimes be tricky but this is the most important of all. The underarms sweat because they are a primary route for toxins to escape via the lymphatic system. When we block them from being able to function, we encourage toxins to build up in our lymph system and breasts.
  4. Buy organic. Yep this again. Buy and eat your food in the way that is as close to its natural state as possible. Shop for your vegetables in the produce section rather than the canned foods aisle. When you can’t buy everything organic, just do the best you can as often as you can. A little bit goes a very long way.  
  5. Home Air. Inside your home, the air can be very toxic. This can be remedied simply by using air purifiers, cleaning vents in your home regularly, using air cleaning plants indoors, and avoiding “air fresheners” that aren’t natural, including most scented candles.
  6. Get the metal out of your mouth. Amalgam fillings - also known as silver fillings - have been proven to cause a whole host of problems because they are mercury. For those who do not know, mercury is the most dangerous heavy metal for all living things. It destroys everything. If you have any, get them removed by a biological dentist right away. A regular dentist is not trained to do it correctly like a biological dentist is.
  7. Avoid being on long term medication. Most pharmaceuticals warn that they can cause liver failure. This is because the liver is the organ that processes and filters out toxicity, and pharmaceuticals are known to overload the body with those toxins. Medicine can be life saving when used in acute emergency situations, but long term use can have disastrous consequences to your health.

It’s worth it to discuss with your natural healthcare provider the benefits of doing a detox. Detoxing the body makes your organs function more effectively, it improves your quality of sleep, clears your skin, sheds unwanted pounds, clears your brain fog, gives you energy, and makes you healthier. There are many types of detox programs out there so do your due diligence before starting one. As always, let your true health be your motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment